Friday, July 6, 2012

Speaking of Music with a Heartbeat...

     Today I discovered something that I'm surprised I hadn't discovered earlier than now, Fever Ray.

                   


     Fever Ray is the solo side project of the girl from indie electro-pop duo, The Knife. If for whatever reason, you are unfamiliar with them, drop everything you are doing now and click on the links posted below.

     The Knife spread like a fever among the indie dance scene with hits like "Heartbeats" http://theknife.net/videos/2408790  and "You Take My Breath Away" http://theknife.net/videos/10040571 back around 2005. If you enjoy those tracks or anything else by The Knife, you owe it to yourself to look into Fever Ray. Karin Dreijer Andersson (the female half of The Knife) still uses the same exotic and captivating vocal style she did with The Knife. A Swedish siren, that gal.
   
     Fever Ray, is almost more....soundscapey I would say. It has a kind of, haunting and spacey feel to it. The use of synths is still there, and so is that weird effect she does on her voice that makes it sound deeper. I think the main difference is that it's just a little bit slower and more chill.


     I guess you could compare it to the solo album put out by Brandon Boyd versus his previous works with the whole band, Incubus. Or Anthony Green compared to his work with Circa Survive. Except in that case, I think his vocals changed a bit more drastically than that of Andersson (Fever Ray). I don't know. The point I was trying to make is, you can still here The Knife in it, but there is definitely more focus on Andersson and what's going on inside that beautiful mind of hers.

     This album was released back in 2009, and she hasn't put out any other music under this name. She did however release a song under her real name on a compilation album called "We Are The Works In Progress" that was made available in January earlier this year. This is a benefit album whose proceeds will go towards those stricken with poverty and loss from the effects of the recent tsunami in Japan. You can find that cd on the Fever Ray website. Sucks it took me 3 years to find her solo stuff, but I'm glad I did! Follow the link to her website..
                                             
                                                     http://feverray.com/




No comments:

Post a Comment